Tuesday 12 March 2013

* "Navarro's Notes' "Never Forgotten" 11Th Installment, An 80s Childhood Memory: *


A throw back to my earlier childhood living in the West end of Toronto. When ever I saw this box of cards back In 1989, whether be in The Smoke & Gift Shop or it be at the Comic Shop in Albion Mall, I was never short of excitement taking my hard earned dollars and buying up as much of these cards as possible. Since the movie had come out and I had seen it, I was already a fan again of Batman even watching The 60s series on Television in the evening. 

 

When I would walk Into The Albion Mall Smoke & Gift Shop, the exact same thing that I saw Is what you see In the image above. It was In all It's glory just staring at me, waiting for me to pick up a handful of glossy packs. It was a joy to just seem this way In such a cool little display by the cashier. It's funny, somethings seem so trivial to a lot of out of touch people, but the simple pleasures when you were a kid you hold forever. This may seem trivial to you, but to me this was apart of the experience of being a kid and being a Card Collector.


Would you believe I still have my cards too. At least the various versions of the series. I have the complete series and haven't parted from the set even taking a look at them whenever I am digging into my belongings. I must say that the best version of these cards, as yes, there was two versions, was the Topps version. It was more glossier and more sleek looking than that of the O-Pee-Chee version. The O-Pee-Chee version seemed to be almost a poor man's version of the Topps version. Their cards were cool and everything, but as a Card Collector at the time, I knew which one I wanted more and knew that would be worth more later on down the road. Although, right now, I think that both are in my opinion equally as valuable since the O-Pee-Chee version wasn't as popular back then and Is a bit more of a rare find amongst the Card Collector's of today.


As you can see some of the select cards that I chose to show you here, I can tell you, that I really did not like the yellow border around the O-Pee-Chee cards but I suppose that's what made them different from Topps' version. You can see that the cover cards above and just below are Topps but have different borders. I have all the ones that you see below Including the white cover card below. The one above, I actually don't remember every seeing It as a Topps card. I remember seeing It as a O-Pee-Chee cover card with "O-Pee-Chee" Implanted on It, not "Topps". Anyways, have a look at some of the cards In a little collage I have provided below.


The card on the far right titled "Dark Knight Detective" Is one of my favorite cards of the set. My favorite Is the white cover card. There were a lot of cool little cards that I favored more than others when I was collecting. Keep having a look before  this week's post Is wrapped up.


I must admit, that from the O-Pee-Chee cards version, they did try to separate themselves by having little quirky cards like sketches for how they created certain scenes In the movie. They were little story boards If you will. As I mentioned above, the yellow border, I did not like, but I guess It was what helped to distinguish themselves as different as well. The puzzle was there of course where you collect certain red border cards and form a puzzle. There were stickers as well with red borders. I remember they did try.


As long as I shall live, the time period of collecting these cards will forever live with me. It's one of the few things that I hold dear to my heart, just trying to be a kid in those days during The 80s. What helps too, is holding the movie up as one of my favorite movies of all time as well. Be sure to check out more of my thoughts about these cards and my memories of my growing up in The 1980s, the greatest decade ever by going to the side under "Popular Posts" and looking up my extensive piece on my favorite decade {"Never Forgotten" - 7}. In enclosing, my favorite card of the 1989 Batman Trading Cards set? The one below:


  These cards will Never Be Forgotten.
_________________________________________________________________

* Until Next Time, Check Back For More *
_________________________________________________________________